The Blog of Andy Preston's FM104 10 - 3 Show Check it out for up-to-date info on the show!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hallelujah My B****x!

So another X Factor cover and another debate about the sacrilige of murdering a classic song - yaaaaawn!!!

I threw my hands in the air when I heard that this years winner would be releasing Leonard Cohen's haunting 'Hallelujah', covered in the 90's by the late and much revered Jeff Buckley - two artists that both fall under the 'credible artist' bracket. You know, the type of performer that Hot Press journos decide are acceptable to write on your schoolbag or your facebook profile. Do kids still write their favourite bands in black marker on their schoolbags?

The reason I was in despair when I heard about the 'Hallelujah' cover? I knew for weeks that I would have to endure the constant arguments and debates about how it is against the greater good for an artist - and in particular an X Factor competitor - to cover such a hallowed song. And what makes it worse is that not only do we have to listen to the insults being thrown at Alexandra Burke and Simon (the anti-christ) Cowell, now we have to listen to the "who's version was better, Cohen or Buckley" argument - with each armchair expert trying to outsmart each other with their smug critique!

And quite frankly, I am bored with this crap!

I consider myself a music fan - I include pop music in this. Hell I even like some of Westlifes' stuff! So shoot me! Music is music to me, I don't and never have subscribed to labels. Maybe that's because of the industry that I work in and I have to play all types of music to my audience, both on the radio and in the clubs. If it's a good song then I truly believe that it should be heard by the widest amount of people possible. And Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' is a beauitiful love song about love in both the spiritual and the physical sense. And now the people at large have heard it well who knows. maybe it will encourage tham to go out and buy The Essential Leonard Cohen or Jeff Buckley's excellent 'Grace' album.

Rant over!:)

andyp@fm104.ie